NICOLE CANNIZZARO STATEMENT ON VICTORIA SEAMAN’S CLAIM THE EDUCATION FUNDING IS “ONE OF THE WORST THINGS” IN NEVADA HISTORY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 10, 2016

 

NICOLE CANNIZZARO STATEMENT ON VICTORIA SEAMAN’S CLAIM THE EDUCATION FUNDING IS “ONE OF THE WORST THINGS” IN NEVADA HISTORY

LAS VEGAS - Today, Nicole Cannizzaro, Democratic candidate for State Senate District 6, released the following statement in response to comments made by her Republican opponent about education funding in Nevada. Republican candidate Victoria Seaman told an audience at a luncheon last month that a bipartisan effort led by Governor Brian Sandoval to fund schools was “one of the worst things to ever happen in Nevada history.”

“I grew up going to public schools here in Clark County, and I am deeply offended that anyone would think that investing in our kids is one of the worst things we could do,” said Cannizzaro. “The work that Governor Sandoval did with legislators on both sides of the aisle to craft an education funding package should make all Nevadans proud. These new investments in our students will pay off for years to come. We need more problem-solvers in Carson City, and I will work hard to strengthen our schools and build a Nevada economy that works for everyone.”

Bipartisan legislation that passed during the 2015 legislative session that will increase education funding in the state by $600 million, providing funding for both existing and new programs. Seaman was one of only a small minority of legislators to oppose the funding package.

Nicole Cannizzaro is a lifelong Nevada resident who was born and raised in Las Vegas. She is a graduate of the Clark County School District, the University of Nevada in Reno, and the UNLV Boyd School of Law. She currently works as a deputy district attorney with the Clark County District Attorney’s Office.

-30-